So long 2013. As I
look back to the last 12 months, I have a lot to be thankful for. Now I look forward to seeing what 2014 has
to offer. Each New Year is a birth of
possibilities. We get a fresh, untarnished
year as a blank slate on which to create.
Most people make New Year’s resolutions.
This year my resolution for the New Year is simple. I want to stress less and be good to myself
more.
We wear stress like a badge of honor. We believe we aren’t really working if we aren’t
overwhelmed. Life can come at us from
every direction. There is the family,
the kids, the messy house, the demanding boss, the horrible bumper to bumper
L.A. traffic and a million deadlines. On
top of that, there is the voice in our heads telling us that we aren’t doing
enough, we aren’t trying hard enough and that if we only could work a little
bit more we wouldn’t be letting everybody else down.
All this stress is downright unhealthy. As a food and weight loss coach, my job is to
help people live a healthier lifestyle.
Yet I struggle with one of the unhealthiest habits. Stress is bad for the entire body. It causes inflammation and puts us into
fight-or-flight. The whole body from our
immune system to our digestive system to our metabolism shuts down creating a
disastrous situation.
I want to be good myself and forgive myself for not having
everything under control at all times. I
want to appreciate taking time for myself to just enjoy moments. I want to stop during the day and just feel
myself breath. Conscious breathing is
good for our health and reminds us that we are so fortunate to be alive at this
very moment. Because no matter how many
stressful things are happening in the moment, we only get one life.
I urge everyone to make improved health one of their New
Years goals. This can mean handling an
illness, eating better, exercising more or being supportive of yourself
emotionally. Making yourself a priority
declares to the universe that you matter.
It is finding the greatness that already exists within.
Now that seems like a great way to fly into the New Year,
don’t you think?

No comments:
Post a Comment